Each day, Buckeyes across the state and around the world make a lasting impact.
The Ohio State University sets the stage for academic achievement and innovation. It's where friendships are forged, tradition is brought to life and a better global community is built. Our mission is as clear today as it was 150 years ago: to illuminate a pathway to education, research and health care that creates vibrant futures.
UAS Program Manager
Engineering | Center for Aviation Studies
This position is supporting the teaching and research mission of the Center for Aviation Studies, the College of Engineering, and The Ohio State University, by supporting UAS operations and UAS instruction.
Utilizes a variety of fixed-wing and multirotor platforms, this position will lead the communication with clients (researchers, staff, faculty, and partners outside the university) flight planning, flight operations on and off-campus, processing, and delivery of data assets. This position will also lead crew development and management with students and partners as well as strategic planning of equipment acquisition and maintenance.
Develops and teaches UAS training for platforms and projects for faculty/staff/students at OSU and outside partners. Assist with developing policies and SOP’s.
Maintain Inventory control of Ohio State owned UAS platforms. Track and maintain database of remote pilot qualifications for Ohio State employees and students. Conduct preventive maintenance on UAS platforms and support equipment
- Hold valid Part 107 certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree in aviation, remote sensing, GIS, civil engineering, agriculture or a closely related field, with 1-3 years’ experience operating unmanned systems.
- Experience flying a variety of small UAS drones such as DJI Phantom, Mavic and Inspire.
- Experience with a variety of different types of UAS projects including videography, photography, mapping, manual and preprogrammed flight.
- Possess excellent communication skills with an ability to operate effectively as part of a team.
- Professional approach to dynamic risk management and risk mitigation.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to operate complex equipment in accordance with Ohio State and FAA SOPs.
- Full US driving license
- Perform instructional training in all aspects of unmanned aircraft system utilization within the National Airspace System meeting regulatory policy and procedural requirements.
- 2 years manned or unmanned aircraft experience.
- Unmanned Safety Institute Level 1 and 2 Certifications.
- Master's degree in aeronautical engineering or related field plus 2 years manned or unmanned aircraft experience.
- Teaching experience especially in practical UAS operations preferred.
- Experience in commercial medium/heavy-lift UAS, VTOL fixed wing, BVLOS platforms, or research-grade platforms and sensors.
- Extensive experience in UAS mapping including GCP.
Click here to learn more and apply!